Free velociraptor Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My #disneyside party

I was once again chosen by Mom Select to host a Disney Side party. I got picked to host a multi-generation theme, which was perfect, because I applied to host it to take place during FAST. FAST stands for families and schools together, it was put together by the literacy council and was previously held at the local elementary school. We moved it to take place at a church though, because due to bureaucracy one of the important elements of having a family bring a meal each week was no longer allowed. It is a variety of families, some which aren't even related by blood, but they take on children, and we sing songs, do activities and have speakers come and speak about a variety of topics. We end it with a traditional African rain dance, which is pretty cool, because it involves waiting for your turn and paying close attention, and it sounds amazing.

So, I applied, thinking the multi generation theme would be perfect. I only had about half an hour for activities though, so I spoke about Disney and families and how it crosses the generations, and gave them the family tree kit, and the word search to work on together. I also brought Disney items and let each child pick one and made a big basket to use as a part of the raffle. Every week they raffle off a basket of items for a family, with different items for the parents and children, this week they got two. I also brought my world's largest Hershey bar for dessert and it was quite a task to break apart, but we got it done, it was delicious too.

One of the girls there mentioned they advised against going to Disney World because of disease and I told them that there was a Measles outbreak that began at Disney Land, but Disney World hasn't had anything, but I think Disney should really do some PR on that, because it has tainted the brand.

Now some pictures, it went so fast, so I only got a few.
Here's the lovely ladies that run FAST
A photo posted by Sara (@shsc82) on




A photo posted by Sara (@shsc82) on




A photo posted by Sara (@shsc82) on




A photo posted by Sara (@shsc82) on




A photo posted by Sara (@shsc82) on



A photo posted by Sara (@shsc82) on

The families all enjoyed my speech and the activities and I will probably bring some more of the activities to a future FAST meeting. They seemed really interesting in the pin the smile on mickey game.   Thanks Mom Select for once again picking me, these families are very appreciative of any and everything, this is a very high poverty area, so any little bit and word of encouragement helps. I really believe in this program and have seen families learn and grow as families and become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment